It’s been well over a year since I wrote Part 1 of this post. Since then my life has changed pretty significantly with the addition to our family. I am even more picky about what we use in the house in regards to cleaners, laundry detergents, etc since we have had her. As I mentioned in the previous post, what you put IN your body is equally as important as what you put ON your body.
I talked last time about the Think Dirty app. It has become by go-to usually before I try something new. I also found out that the Environmental Working Group (the people that put out the Dirty Dozen list) also have an app for products as well. It’s called EWG’s Healthy Living. You can look up a ton of products on this app to get ratings as well.
My lifestyle is 80/20. I try my best to do what I can. Do I eat organic every meal of every day. The answer is no. If I don’t have a lunch and have to go get something at work it probably isn’t going to be organic but I still keep it healthy. When I am cooking at home which is 90 percent of the meals I eat then yes, my entire meal is usually organic. The same goes for my beauty routine. I dye my hair. I like eye makeup, that is one thing I haven’t looked at my Think Dirty app for. When I was suffering from postpartum hair loss I was using a special shampoo and conditioner, I am sure that wouldn’t have passed the test. But I do what I can MOST of the time.
Below are some new products I found that I like. I swapped out my shampoo and conditioner. It is SO hard to find fragrance free shampoos and conditioner. And most of the time that is the ingredient that makes a product “dirty”. I also found new makeup. Having Isley we had to switch over to fragrance free detergents and products made for sensitive skin. These are all my new favorite products. If you try any of them let me know what you think by leaving a comment. OR tell me about the clean products you love!
- Shea Moisture – Moisture Retention Shampoo and Conditioner – no parabens, no sulfates, no synthetic fragrance, no testing on animals, all wins in my book!
- Andalou Naturals Cream Cleanser – removes makeup, doesn’t leave your face feeling dry and has a nice citrus scent
- California Baby Calming Body Wash – subtle smell of lavendar to help calm, perfect for baths before bed
- Dr. Bonner’s Unscented Baby Soap – you can use this for anything! I use it to wash bottles, as a body wash and as a laundry detergent. It makes traveling great too since you can use it for anything put it in a TSA approved travel sized container and only pack one soap for many purposes.
- Acure Dry Shampoo – First off this stuff is under ten dollars. It doesn’t leave a white flaky residue in your hair. The ingredients are simple – arrowroot, cornstarch and essential oils. Plus they make a version for brunettes with cocoa powder added!
- BeautyCounter Tint Skin – while I was on the hunt for new foundation a girl in one of my parenting groups suggested BeautyCounter to me. I LOVE this foundation! It’s lightweight but gives great coverage.
- BeautyCounter blush (shown in guava) – I was out of blush when I ordered my Tint Skin so I added this to my order. I love it. Plus they show you pictures of different skin tons when you buy so you can see how it might look on you. BONUS with BeautyCounter – they send you a return label you can use on the box your product came in within 60 days if you are not happy with your product!