This one pot vegetarian verde enchilada skillet takes all the great flavors of verde enchiladas and combines them into one pan for less time and easy cleanup!
During the week we don’t eat a lot of meat. And I was craving some kind of Mexican food without all the work. I love enchiladas verde but stuffing enchiladas after working all day didn’t sound too fun. So I decided to see if I could whip up a one pot wonder with all the same great flavors.
One pot meal, one less mess!
I love a one pot or pan meal because it’s less mess to clean up. So one of the keys to one pot meals is layering in the flavors and cooking things in the right order so you don’t wind up with something over or undercooked. Here are a few tips and tricks to make this one pot vegetarian verde enchilada skillet a success:
- Use a deep sided skillet dish to make sure everything will fit, and make sure it’s oven safe. There are a few kitchen items I have invested in over the years and this by far is one of my most used pans especially for a meal like this!
- Don’t over cook the veggies – they will continue to cook with the rice
- Save time with canned beans and store bought enchilada sauce
One pan, many variations
Since I was cooking vegetarian my skillet includes beans in it for a little extra protein. If you are trying to eat less meat, beans are always my go to for extra protein. However I know that a lot of people just really like their meat and don’t want to go meatless. So if that is you here are a few options for this skillet:
- Brown up ground meat of your choice FIRST (pork, chicken or beef). Brown meat over medium high heat to get a nice sear on it. Once meat is browned drain any excess fat THEN start with step one of the recipe.
- Save time with rotisserie chicken – once the rice is cooked stir in the already cooked chicken and top with the cheese and finish under the broiler
- This could also be a side dish if you are going Mexican inspired with tequila lime chicken or chimichurri steak
Regardless of the variation this vegetarian verde enchilada skillet is going to be loaded with flavor and nutrition AND an easy clean up meal. And remember whatever version of this you choose to make be sure to rate and comment below and tag me on Instagram!Print