This easy tomato vegetable soup is quick to make and big on flavor. Pasta, beans and veggies are combined for a nutritious soup.
On Sundays I make soup. Pretty much every Sunday. No matter what the season. It could be eighty degrees out and I will still make a big batch of soup for us. Why you may ask? Because it makes a lot of food. Which ultimately saves time (and MONEY!) later in the week. When I make soup on Sundays we get dinner Sunday night, a few meals for our daughter and a few lunches for me during the week at work.
But sometimes coming up with new ideas or concepts becomes a challenge. I have my go-tos like my lemon couscous soup . I always love a good potato soup  but most of the time I am just craving more veggies. The weekend before I made “hide your vegetables” vegetable noodle soup  . So I whipped up this easy tomato vegetable soup instead which is almost minestrone-esque.
Tomato Vegetable Soup Ingredients
If you are new here I like to load my recipes up with veggies. While we are not strict vegetarian we are very plant based forward in our cooking style. Which enables us to load up on the nutrients that vegetables provide. A soup like this is loaded with different vegetables so you don’t have to feel bad about not eating enough of them!
- Mirepoix – this is your standard celery, onions and carrots. However I like to cheat with the carrots and buy grated at the store. I do not like carrots but when they are small and grated I can’t even taste them
- Leeks – they just add something extra to this soup. Just make sure you clean them really well!
- Tomatoes – I like to use crushed and diced in this recipe to have more of a tomato base
- Broth – even though this soup doesn’t have meat chicken bone broth is my favorite
- Green beans – for a little extra veggies. Use frozen ones from the store to save time in the kitchen
- Parmesan Cheese rind – this is one of my favorite additions to all of my soups. I love the extra saltiness that the cheese rind gives. Look for it with the specialty cheese at the store or ask the person behind the cheese counter!
- Little pasta – a short noodle like an elbow, ditalini, rings, or little shells all work here
- Beans – again taking some help from the store by using canned beans. Cannellini are my favorite for this because they are creamy.
Putting it All Together
This soup is pretty easy to make. Sometimes I feel like chopping the veggies are the hardest part! The veggies are sautéed in a big soup pan to start and then the rest of the ingredients are just dumped in. Additionally you can mix the soup up a bit too:
- Add meat – if you aren’t ready to ditch your meat just yet Italian sausage would go great in this soup. You could even shred a rotisserie chicken and add it at the end.
- Keep it vegan – omit the parmesan cheese rind and use vegetable broth
- Add more veggies – chopped fresh baby spinach or even kale would add more veggies in here
- Gluten free – omit the pasta or sub out a GF version, additionally you could replace the pasta with quinoa or another grain of your choice
This soup is a perfect meal to have for leftovers to ensure you get are getting in those daily veggies. So the next time you are looking for a quick and easy (vegetable forward!) soup be sure to make this easy tomato vegetable soup recipe. And remember, if you try this recipe be sure to rate it and leave a comment below and let me know how you like it. Or tag me on Instagram!